In this episode we speak to Dr. Cynthia Fox, CEO and co-founder of LSVT Global and LSVT LOUD faculty. The Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT or LSVT LOUD) is an approach that was originally developed to treat voice and speech disorders in people with Parkinson’s disease. Over the years, changes in swallowing have been observed in patients with Parkinson’s post LSVT LOUD and pilot studies have investigated the effects of LSVT LOUD on swallowing in this patient population.
But does this mean that we can apply LSVT LOUD as a dysphagia treatment in patients with Parkinson’s? What about Atypical Parkinsonian Syndromes? We asked Cynthia all kinds of questions about LSVT LOUD, the relationship with swallowing and the current state of evidence.
Literature that we talk about in this episode and further helpful information:
- Boliek et al. (2022). Intensive Voice Treatment (Lee Silverman Voice Treatment [LSVT LOUD] for Children With Down Syndrome: Phase I Outcomes. https://doi.org/10.1044/2021_JSLHR-21-00228 OPEN ACCESS
- El Sharkawi et al. (2002). Swallowing and voice effects of Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT): A pilot study. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.72.1.31 OPEN ACCESS
- McInerney et al. (2021). Evaluation of an intensive voice treatment to reduce anterior drooling in children with cerebral palsy: Protocol for a concurrent multiple-baseline, single case experimental design study. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conctc.2021.100872 OPEN ACCESS
- Miles et al. (2017). Effect of Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT LOUD®) on swallowing and cough in Parkinson’s disease: A pilot study. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2017.11.015
- Nozaki et al. (2021). Effects of Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT LOUD) on Swallowing in Patients with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy: A Pilot Study. https://doi.org/10.2490/prm.20210012 OPEN ACCESS
- Park et al. (2022). Swallowing Outcomes Following Voice Therapy in Multiple System Atrophy with Dysphagia: Comparison of Treatment Efficacy with Parkinson’s Disease. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-021-10265-9 OPEN ACCESS
- Schindler et al. (2021). Consensus on the treatment of dysphagia in Parkinson’s disease. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2021.120008 OPEN ACCESS
LSVT Global Webinar: What we know about LSVT LOUD and swallowing impairments associated with Parkinson’s disease